Today's Featured Articles:
It's Thursday and the weather is, well, not welcoming. But we need the water, right? Normally, today would be tax day, but you get another month this year. Phew!
News you need to know
- Bernie Madoff, who operated the largest Ponzi scheme in history, died in prison yesterday. He was 82.
- Kim Potter, the former officer who shot and killed Daunte White, has been arrested and charged with 2nd-degree manslaughter.
- GOP Rep. Kevin Brady of Texas—the former House Ways & Means Committee chairman who led the push for Trump’s 2017 tax cuts—announced Wednesday he will not seek a 14th term in 2022.
- The Deseret News has restructured ther leadership team and Robin Ritch takes the helm, the first woman to do so in the company's 171-year history.
- President Joe Biden will (finally!) address a joint session of Congress on April 28.
9 days until the United Utah Party Organizing Convention (04/24/2021)
15 days until the Biden/Harris administration's first 100 days are up (04/30/2021)
16 days until the in-person Utah GOP Organizing Convention (05/01/2021)
149 days until half-way through the Cox/Henderson's administration's 500-day plan (09/11/2021)
- Is a $2.3 trillion infrastructure plan right for America?
- Under one roof
- Why Sen. Mike Lee wants to make gun silencers easier to buy
- Can a pasta machine protect the seeds to save the West’s wildlands?
- What Mitt Romney, John Curtis want to do after wildfires char the land
- Utah looking at small shortfall in COVID-19 doses due to Johnson & Johnson ‘pause,’ official says
- Deseret News announces new president and leadership changes
Salt Lake Tribune
- Vote now! Tell us the best restaurant in West Valley City
- Video shows student cutting down pride flag at Utah high school as others cheer
- Did a Utah contestant win $200,000 on CBS’ ‘Tough as Nails’?
- Why Utah Rep. Burgess Owens opposes reparations as the House takes a first step toward slavery compensation
- Sandy residents may be using ranked-choice voting in this year’s election
- Robert Gehrke: Even when Mike Lee is right (like he is about pro baseball), it’s for the wrong reasons
- Thousands without power in northern Utah Wednesday (FOX 13)
- Homes for urban campers? St. George non-profit pitches big in SLC for “at least 3” motel conversions for homeless relief (Building Salt Lake)
- Senate’s bipartisan swing at China faces GOP curveballs (Politico)
- Dr. Anthony Fauci on what the Johnson & Johnson vaccine reactions could mean for women (CBS News)
- Myth or reality? Health experts weigh in on whether 'herd immunity' is possible (CNBC)
- CDC vaccine advisers put off decision on Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine (CNN)
- CDC says blocking middle seats can reduce covid risks. Will airlines keep selling them? (Washington Post)
- Overdose Deaths Have Surged During the Pandemic, C.D.C. Data Shows (New York Times)
- UK trial on switching COVID-19 vaccines adds Moderna and Novavax shots (Reuters)
- Moderna, Pfizer vaccines don’t cause blood clots, experts say (Deseret News)
- Biden Says It Is ‘Time for America’s Troops to Come Home’ From Afghanistan (New York Times)
- Lindsey Graham: Biden 'paving the way' for another 9/11 with Afghanistan withdrawal (FOX News)
- Democrats to introduce bill to expand Supreme Court from 9 to 13 justices (NBC News)
- A Capitol Police lieutenant won’t face charges in the Jan. 6 shooting death of a rioter. (New York Times)
- Women detail drug use, sex and payments after late-night parties with Gaetz and others (CNN)
- Biden to unveil Russia sanctions over SolarWinds hack and election meddling (The Guardian)
- Biden's top intelligence officials won't rule out lab accident theory for COVID-19 origins (Yahoo! News)
- Intelligence Chiefs Say China, Russia Are Biggest Threats To U.S. (NPR)
Organization to support the political service of women members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints launched
- Delta, American, United, and other major airlines signal rejection of new CDC guidance saying they should block middle seats (Business Insider)
- Coinbase Stock Rockets As Trading Begins For Cryptocurrency Giant (Investors.com)
- New Instagram test offers 3 options for managing like counts instead of just removing them (9 to 5 Mac)
Speaking of the war in Afghanistan: “Twenty years is a long time. Those are 17th-century European numbers. That’s the kind of war you fight because the Spanish contessa rejected your proposal to unite the kingdoms and eloped with the Duke of Saxony.” — STEPHEN COLBERT
Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.
~Corrie ten Boom