- Romney says impeachment trial is necessary for ‘accountability ... truth and justice’ - “I believe that what is being alleged and what we saw, which is incitement to insurrection, is an impeachable offense. If not, what is?”
- Why Mitt Romney loses points with Utah Republicans, scores big with Democrats - New poll shows GOP Sens. Mike Lee and Mitt Romney have high disapproval ratings among Utah voters
- Xavier Becerra’s future role in your family life - The California attorney general is expected to lead the Department of Health and Human Services. He would be the first Hispanic to head the department, particularly significant at a time when the coronavirus pandemic is hitting ethnic populations particularly hard.
- Vaccine tourism, explained - Frustrated with their own state’s rollout, people are visiting different states to get a vaccine.
- 6 priorities of Gov. Spencer Cox’s first 500 days in office - “One Utah Roadmap” focuses on economic advancement, education innovation and investment, rural matters, health security, equality and opportunity, and state government efficiency
- Proposed Dixie State University name change evokes emotional debate - Some on panel discussion say the name does harm while others argue it’s a ‘unique and enviable brand’
- Couldn’t find toilet paper during pandemic? Blame anti-gouging laws, Weber State prof says - There are 3 bills in the Utah legislature that propose changes to or a repeal of Utah’s anti-gouging laws.
- Talk of new state flag design for Utah raises concern from some lawmakers - Bill passes out of committee 3-2.
Salt Lake Tribune
- COVID-19 vaccines will be offered to unhoused people in Salt Lake City next week - People over 70 will be prioritized first, followed by those with underlying health problems.
- Utah asks federal officials to confirm state is getting its ‘fair share’ of COVID-19 vaccine - The CDC is unaware of any discrepancies but has agreed to review their numbers for accuracy.
- Romney says Trump must be held accountable for attempted insurrection - Utah Republican senator also questions need for President Biden’s coronavirus rescue plan
- Republican Sen. Mitt Romney’s political clout just got a lot bigger with Democrats in control - Romney’s recent centrist, independent deal cutting have some seeing him as perhaps now the most influential — and maybe the only truly influential — Utahn in the newly Democratic controlled Washington, D.C.
- Robert Gehrke: If we want to fix American politics, blow up the two-party system - The two-party system is the worst feature of modern American politics.
- Timothy Egan: A president can govern in poetry - If he’s lucky, Biden will catch a “longed-for tidal wave” that could usher in an age when poetry is not without power.
- Vessel Kitchen founders find innovative ways to stay open, expand during pandemic (Fox 13) They have focused on curbside, take-out and delivery services, while staying true to the core values of healthy, locally sourced food.
- Utah National Guard reflects on inauguration assignment (Fox 13) “What we saw was calm. It was an honor to be here.”
- SLCC can help you get ready for what lies ahead (KSL) Education is key, but it doesn’t have to be a bachelor’s degree - there are numerous options that equip job-seekers with needed skills.
- Moms are bearing the brunt of U.S. COVID-19 job losses (Deseret News) - The industries hardest hit by COVID-19 reads like a Venn diagram of the occupations most occupied by women - leisure, hospitality, pink-collar service jobs and caregiving.
- Covid-19 Bill Negotiations Offer First Test of Biden’s Bipartisanship Effort (Wall Street Journal) - The task is made more difficult as partisan lines are hardening in the Senate over the impeachment fate of his predecessor.
- Bernie Sanders: Dems will use reconciliation to pass Covid relief ‘as soon as we possibly can’ (Politico) 50 votes in the Senate plus the vice president’s vote are needed to pass. Republicans used reconciliation in 2017 to pass tax reform.
- How West Virginia Became a U.S. Leader in Vaccine Rollout (The New York Times) West Virginia created a network of pharmacies in the state, pairing them with about 200 long-term care facilities.
- CDC director says federal government does not know how much Covid vaccine the U.S. has (CNBC) - “I can’t tell you how much vaccine we have, and if I can’t tell it to you then I can’t tell it to the governors and I can’t tell it to the state health officials,” CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said.
- Here’s how long will it take to vaccinate enough adults to defeat COVID-19 (Deseret News) - At the current rate, it will be February 2022.
- COVID-19 vaccines appear to be less effective against new mutations, Dr. Fauci says (Deseret News)
- Dr. Fauci says second COVID-19 vaccine shot knocked him out for 24 hours (Deseret News) - “Fatigued. A little achy. You know. Chilly. Not sick,” said Fauci.
- No one knows what’s going to happen with COVID-19 right now. Here’s why (Deseret News) - The new variants are cause for uncertainty and concern.
- Coronavirus: Utah responds to the pandemic (Deseret News) - 336,405 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 1,595 total deaths as of Sunday
- 4 ways to deal with COVID-19 symptoms (Deseret News) - The CDC recommends over-the-counter pain relievers, a humidifier, lots of liquids and quarantining.
- Coronavirus in Utah: Though daily positive rate climbs back over 20%, weeklong numbers reflect some good trends (Salt Lake Tribune) - Rolling 7-day average numbers and positivity rate are down.