- How highly religious women are redefining feminism - Hot take: A serious religious commitment seems to more adequately prepare women — and their husbands — to face working motherhood than liberal feminism.
- H.R. McMaster: Utah has ‘strategic competence,’ and the U.S. should take note - The former national security adviser and Miles Hansen, CEO of World Trade Center Utah, say Utah’s founding principles could lift the rest of the nation.
- Why Megyn Kelly and some other conservatives are resisting calls for unity - “We’re not gonna unite. It’s all nonsense,” she said.
- Biden wasn’t the only one sworn in last week — who to watch as the Senate switches control - The 117th Congress promises to be the year of the centrist.
- Rep. Chris Stewart says opposition to book deals for Trump administration ‘un-American’ - “Is their view going to be that if someone does publish these individuals, that they’ll go burn those books, they’ll ban them? I mean, for heaven sakes, this is like Germany in 1936.”
- One Utah lawmaker hospitalized with COVID-19, two more test positive - Rep Jon Hawkins is in the hospital while Senators Weiler and Ipson have tested positive, as well as two staff members and one intern.
- Utah lawmaker wants it illegal to transfer fetal remains outside of state other than for burial - The bill as written would create a contradiction in the state’s law as it does not delete existing language that allows a fetus or fetal tissue donated under the Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act to be transferred out of Utah.
- Utah, Kane County suffer Supreme Court defeat in controversial roads case - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday ruled against taking up an appeal by the state of Utah and Kane County over whether two environmental organizations have the right to intervene in a case about RS2477 roads.
- Sen. Mitt Romney among senators proposing constitutional amendment to stop ‘court packing’ - The legislation to prevent Democratic “court packing”comes as progressive activists put pressure on President Joe Biden to get going on the bipartisan Supreme Court reform commission idea he floated during the campaign.
Salt Lake Tribune
- One in 5 of Utah’s COVID-19 deaths has happened since the beginning of 2021 - With two more deaths reported Monday, the January death toll is more than 20% of the state’s pandemic total.
- Elementary students are returning to Salt Lake City schools in person for the first time since March - Almost two-thirds of elementary students have chosen to attend classes in person.
- Freshman Utah Reps. Blake Moore named to Armed Services Committee; Burgess Owens to Judiciary.
- Lawmaker again seeks stricter ban on cellphones while driving - Rep. Carol Moss says even though the bill failed last year, debate over it saved lives.
- Utah treatment centers would face limits on use of restraints, drugs, isolation rooms under new bill - SB127 would also dramatically increase reporting and inspection requirements for these controversial centers.
- Troy Williams: Mitt Romney can help find common ground on protecting LGBTQ Americans from discrimination - Utah has set an example on nondiscrimination that the nation needs to emulate.
- Hill Air Force Base pilots training at night this week; possible source of noise heard in Salt Lake (FOX 13) - People in the Salt Lake area reported that they felt shaking and heard "booms" Monday night around 9:30.
- Family, community mourn loss of Provo NICU therapist to COVID-19 (FOX 13) More on the life and death of Rufino Rodriguez.
- Utah health department, CDC working to ensure state is receiving 'fair share' of COVID-19 vaccine (KSL) - "We have no reason to believe Utah is receiving fewer doses than it should be," says the CDC.
- Coronavirus: Utah responds to the pandemic (Deseret News) - Utahns must continue to follow health precautions even after receiving both vaccine doses.
- Google Maps will soon tell you where to get the COVID-19 vaccine (Deseret News) - People can search ‘vaccines near me’ to find new information about vaccine clinics.
- Here’s when ‘healthy, young’ Americans will get their COVID-19 vaccine (Deseret News) - Hint: It will be a while.
- Should you wear two masks? Here’s what Dr. Fauci says (Deseret News) - It could help.
- Moderna says its vaccine can stop variants. But it’s creating another booster just in case (Deseret News) - “The virus is changing its stripes, and we will change to make sure we can beat the virus where it’s going.”
- This Utah respiratory therapist died of COVID-19 in the hospital where he helped save newborns for decades (Salt Lake Tribune) - Rufino Rodriguez passed away as LifeFlight paid a final tribute outside his hospital window.
- Melinda Wenner Moyer: If you are offered a COVID-19 vaccine, take it (Salt Lake Tribune) - Declining a coronavirus shot because you think it should go to someone else won’t help anyone.